Friday, November 21, 2014

DIY Cake Stand



I was looking for a cake stand to put my fabulous Momofuku Milk Bar cake on but didn't want to spend 20 dollars for something I would only use once a year. So I made one! 


I bought this 6 inch clock surface. It was originally $4.99 but with my 40% off coupon it was only $2.99. 


Then I bought this mini pot for $.89! 


Then you just need to glue the two together. Ideally I would have used E6000 but couldn't find it so I used a mixture of Tacky Glue and hot glue. That did the trick. The hot glue holds the two pieces in place while the Tacky Glue dries. 


The pot and the clock piece are perfect for each other because they both have holes in the middle that tell you exactly where the middle of each piece is. 



 I drew a circle around the pot. 


Then I dotted Tacky Glue along the inside of the circle. 


After that, I dotted hot glue between the tacky glue and quickly placed the pot on top. 


I let the Tacky Glue dry completely for about 6 hours. To extra secure the glue I placed a heavy book on top while it dried. 


Once dry, I painted it with this metallic acrylic paint. You can paint it however you like.


Once dry, it was ready to use. I didn't paint the top of the clock surface since the food goes on top. You can if you want to. I also placed a circle of parchment paper on top before I placed the cake on the stand. 

It's that simple! 



No comments:

Post a Comment