Sunday, April 14, 2013

Expedition Pinterest: Produce Soaking

So I started juice fasting about two weeks ago and that meant buying tons of fruits and vegetables in bulk. I am notorious for letting veggies go bad in the fridge but in my defense they only last a few days anyway. One day, while perusing Pinterest I saw a pin that said you should soak your produce in a water/vinegar bath before putting them away to take off all of the dirt and pesticides that are on them and also to make them last longer. My first thought was, "Ew! Won't they taste all vinegary??" But I tried it anyway because I had already spent $70 on produce and didn't want them to go quickly and along with them, my money. Here are the directions I followed:

When buying fruit and veggies, always soak them in a 1:4 ratio of vinegar and water to help remove toxins and pesticides - even organic! Leave them soaking for up to an hour, longer with nonorganic apples. At the end of the bath, sometimes you can even see cloudy like stuff in the water from the skins and waxes, and dirt on the bottom.Vinegar is the key!

Here are my results:





In this picture you can see the waxes and other cloudy substances coming off of the fruits.

After I drained the sink I gave them another good rinse with cold water and kept them refrigerated. My cucumbers which usually go bad first are still good after almost 3 weeks!!
I will definitely be doing this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment